The UKGSF allocates funding to three open access strands:
- International Distribution: support for sales and distribution of one or more UK feature films (drama, documentary, animation) in international territories
- International Business Development: financial support for business strategies that drive international growth and IP development for companies working in film, TV (animation, drama and documentary) and interactive narrative gaming
- International Co-production: support for UK companies to be partners in international productions, sharing IP and revenue on TV (animation and documentary) and film projects with audience potential
The UKGSF is open to independent screen sector companies registered and centrally managed in the UK.
The fund is intended to support independent companies across the UK, ensuring a UK-wide benefit and addressing geographic imbalance within the industry. Consideration will be given to where companies are based, where projects are made and how projects reflect the culture and talent of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the English regions outside Greater London.
Eligible screen content varies according to the type of support being applied for. Across the UKGSF supported content includes feature-length and episodic fiction, documentary and animated content for film and television as well as interactive digital projects with narrative content.
Closing dates as of May 2023:
- International Business Development — this strand is open for applications until the deadline at midday on 6 July
- International Co-production — this strand is currently closed
- International Distribution Film Sales Support — this strand is open for applications on a rolling basis
- International Distribution P&A Support — this strand is currently closed
- International Distribution Festival Launch Support - this strand is open for applications on a rolling basis